Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Birds

Not really related to miles, and especially not to running (since I am way behind in that category), but while rowing this spring I've seen a lot of birds.  I don't know if there are more than prior years or if I'm just noticing more, but I had a mental list going then decided to actually put it all down for whatever reason.

And for those of you who may row or formerly rowed, I am well aware that I technically shouldn't be looking out of the boat, but sometimes there are breaks and I check out my surroundings.  And I've also been a coxswain a couple of times which makes for good viewings.

Anyway, here's my list of feathered friends I've seen this year while rowing:
  • Blue Jay
  • Wood Duck
  • Rock Pigeon
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Canada Goose
  • Ring-billed Gulls (one impolitely pooped on me)
  • Double-crested Cormorant
  • Turkey Vulture
  • Grackle
  • Mallard Duck
  • Sparrow
  • Red-winged Blackbird
  • Robin
  • Starling
  • Tree Swallow
  • Great Northern Loon aka Common Loon (this one was in Craftsbury, VT, not Cleveland, OH)

And that's your nature report for today. Keep on milein'.

3 comments:

  1. If you know birds...maybe you can help me out. There's a bird we hear often in Ohio...heard it in North Carolina as well (Outer Banks if you're familiar with that area). It says, "Hmmmm Hmmm". Higher note, lower note -- generally in the morning. I guess I'd have to whistle or hum it to make it make more sense. We've taken out a Birds of Ohio audio book, listed to all hundred some, none of them matched up. Checked out a website with bird names/songs...nothing. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a bird genius, but this is my guess (about 10 seconds into the file): Chickadee - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Poecile-atricapilla-004.ogg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, YOU ARE A BIRD GENIUS to us! HA! This is the bird. Mystery solved. Amazing. So common it's not even funny.

    ReplyDelete