Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mapping out exercise

Yesterday I had an overwhelming desire to go running. It is a strange yearning considering I incessantly talk about running being the absolute pits - it's only purpose being exercise and there are so many other forms that are far more fun - yet there it was, I needed to run.


I live near the entrance to Edgewater Park in Cleveland, a nice path under the Shoreway drops me right into the entrance. Considering I have not ran in months I elected to take the lesser man's route by staying on the lower half and not navigating the killer hill that connects the lower and upper portions. To make up for my laziness I ran the lower loop twice. Of course, my Nike+iPod was not synching so I ran without my mileage tracking. As I was running and when I got home my mileage weighed heavily on my mind...how far did I go?!?

Today, I have been scouring the web for trail information. Attention ODOT/ODNR: Your lack of trail information is astounding. Where is the mileage information?!? Google Maps failed. RunningMap failed. None of them actually map out the interior or Edgewater. While Google Maps actually shows the interior of the park, it will not actually allow me to just map it out. Le Sigh.

So, my overwhelming desire to run made me happy and I did it. I THINK I ran 2.6 miles, not bad for someone who has elected to ignore running since March but it is pretty sad that lack of basic technology and information is still an exerciser's dilemma.

305.1 miles to go.

2 comments:

  1. I think the lower loop - if you complete that circle there and nothing else, is 0.9 miles. Add on any extra to get there, but I've been told (and have calculated it this way for my miles) the lower edgewater loop alone is 0.9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Carol Camiola, Account Clerk for Cleveland Lakefront/Headlands Beach State Parks got back to me and said:

    Thank you for your interest in Edgewater Park. I understand you would like the distance of the bike trails. Unfortunately we do not have the distance. What we do have is the distance of the entire Fitness Course. It is 1.6 Miles, which includes the upper and lower half’s.
    As for employment with the State of Ohio I’m afraid there are no open positions at this time. But feel free to check the State of Ohio web site for openings. (<----Sidebar: I offered up myself as a f/t employee to do actual mapping of their parks.)

    Again that you for using Ohio State Park – we hope you enjoy the areas.

    ReplyDelete