Friday, December 11, 2009

It's Gonna Be A Long Cold Winter

I went to see the Steelers/Browns game last night and if this is the way winter is going to be, I'm a little nervous about getting the miles in. It was cold. It dropped down to 15 degrees. Unpleasant. Oh, and let's not forget the gusts of wind getting into the 40MPH range making the temperature feel like -5 degrees. Brutal.

Somehow the players are out on the field and standing on the sidelines with exposed arms but me in the stands?  No way.  Listing of my layers, top to bottom I wore two hats, a long underwear top, a T-shirt, a long sleeved shirt, a zip up fleece, a jacket, gloves and mittens with handwarmers in each, boxers, long underwear bottoms, jeans, my snowboarding pants, two pairs of socks, boots. I still was cold. So was beer.  Beers purchased became beer slushies.  No joke.

How is one supposed to run in that sort of business? Even a mile.  Clearly I won't make it a point to run at 9pm during the winter, but quite honestly the daylight hours weren't much better. We didn't even hit 20 degrees.

I guess my point is ... well, I'm not sure what it is really. I suppose I'm going to have to toughen up. Or move somewhere warmer.

3 comments:

  1. Let's not forget that you have more than running to choose from as an activity. They are as follows:
    -Bike
    -Elliptical
    -Hike
    -Jog
    -Row
    -Run
    -Stair Stepper
    -Swim
    -Walk

    Some of which may be performed indoors.

    No one wants chafed frosty nipples? Or do they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why biking is allowed? It's a lot easier to bike a mile than run a mile. Also for me it is much easier to swim a mile than run a mile, but it takes probably twicw as long and that's on a good day. Any modifications allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps your questioning attitude slows you down in the water. When I swim a mile it only takes me about 10 minutes. It's easy!

    ReplyDelete