Sunday, April 11, 2010

I live for loopholes

I haven't contributed much to Rickman's blog in the last few months, but rereading my whopping three posts has made apparent to me the following: 1) Try as I might, I am not enjoying the Mile Challenge. 2) I am way behind. 3) I'm pretty sour about it.

A couple weeks ago, an acquaintance mentioned a month-long yoga challenge she'd started called 30 Days of Yoga. I told her (read: whined bitterly) about the Mile Challenge, and that's when it all became clear, so very clear. It's not that I don't like challenges, new experiences or even running... It's that when I think about having to keep up the same activity for three months, six months or a year, I want to run (heh) for the hills. Then yesterday while reading other participants' posts, I realized that we don't have to only run for this challenge. How did I miss this? I mean, how did I miss this?

So I'm finishing the Mile Challenge via monthly sub-challenges featuring activities that will hold my attention for 30 days. Rickman, I'm sorry, they may not always involve propelling my person over long distances (unless a pedometer will summate fencing lunges--are there any pedometer experts out there?), but I'll do my best to track energy expenditure and record mileage fairly. Archery centre points=100 miles each.

9 comments:

  1. I'm a slothful person and so I built the website to accommodate slackers. I have an MTV personality, so I can't deal with one subject for too long.

    Anyways...my point was to get people to do some sort of activity. I know plenty of people in my life that don't do crap. Exercising any muscle is a good thing in my book. Being that our nation is full of obese peeps (and I include myself), I thought this was a first step.

    I know Bill doesn't think people are blogging, but I feel we have a good amount of people participating and that makes the challenge worthy.

    Now, I need to get off my ass and log some miles... whether they are all jogging, walking, biking or hiking? I don't care, I've done more exercising this year than any other since I graduated college!!!!!!!!

    Go SLACKERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are correct, Gapster. I think the challenge is a good one. It's just not as blog friendly as bacon was. If we don't blog as much, we don't blog as much. So be it. Afterall, this isn't a blog challenge or an entertainment challenge, it's a mile challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the kids today and their lack of attention span. I blame MTV. Well I would if they still showed music videos. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the thumbs up, Gapster. I'll keep you posted. I asked Bill yesterday if we could add beach-combing to the mileage tracker drop-down menu... let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beach-Combing? Interesting.

    I can add anything, but just out of curiosity what was WJR's viewpoint?

    ReplyDelete
  6. He told me I was a worthless loser who would never amount to anything. Also something about never to bother contacting him again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Only kidding about the beach-combing. Not about me doing it, but about adding it to the drop down menu. I wouldn't degrade the Mile Challenge any more than I have already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only will it degrade the Mile Challenge, I think the beach-combing will get boring quickly and be a minimally utilized category. It's not like we live in Antigua or something. Maybe you could put beach-combing under hike?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I'm doing hiking! I posted a whole mile, damn it. Hiking is not worthy? I beg to differ, but then again I'm not hardcore.

    Well, when we all move to Antigua, I'll put Beach-combing in.

    LIVE LAME

    ReplyDelete