Friday, April 2, 2010

One Quarter Down

I figured I would post some totals so the non-participants can see where everybody stands as we pass the quarter year mark.

The numbers can be a little deceptive or at least not very conducive for comparison as different people are doing different or multiple activities. For instance, I'm at 266 total miles, but that's 104.75 miles of biking, 63.75 of running and 97.50 of rowing. Totally different and more difficult (at least in my mind) than the 239.49 miles that Runner_Steph has logged that is all running.

So, that said here are the current stats (Note: it's a personal challenge and not a competition, but feel free to mock Mike's 3 total miles anyway):
Skulley: 275.38
Berto: 272
Bill: 266
Runner_Steph: 239.49
Noonan: 192.55
Tedd: 164.5
Gav: 124
Speedy: 117.06
PKNY: 84.6
Mary: 80
Lanza: 61.1
Vicki: 55.5
Andy: 48
SMSA: 38.9
Carly: 34
The Runs: 32.2
Gapster: 31.8
Bette: 27.75
Jess: 27
Stacie: 22.5
Schwabie: 18.5
Killer: 18
TRussell: 14
G: 9.23
Krista: 5.5
mike: 3
JJ: 1
johnnyontherun: 1

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree that rowing, biking etc. is way more challenging than just running! I'm logging a ton of miles running because I'm training for my first half marathon...which is both exciting a slightly scary for me. I ran a 5K years and years ago, but have been running just at my own pace because I love running. One of my friends suggested that we run the half back in November, so I started to train for it. It's been pretty crazy...so many miles (for me, anyway) -- more than I've ever run at once in my life as a "runner", which has been for about 12 years now.
    So guys - if anyone is interested in running the Cleveland half on May 16th, I'll be there with butterflies in my stomach...please join in the fun :) And log some more miles, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was thinking that doing all those miles with one activity is way tougher than multiple activities. All of that running! I meant to say "Totally different and LESS difficult ..."

    I am a crappy editor! Sorry, but your running miles are more difficult than my cruising to work on my bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh -- ha, ha! I wouldn't say more difficult. I'm just totally focused in on one thing! Possibly tooooo focused. Here's a loose reference to focusing in on something too much (pretty interesting article): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/magazine/28depression-t.html. Not that this is an exact correlation, but a few pages into this article, this is worth noting: "...on the evolutionary roots of depression. They began by focusing on the thought process that defines the disorder, which is known as rumination. (The verb is derived from the Latin word for “chewed over,” which describes the act of digestion in cattle, in which they swallow, regurgitate and then rechew their food.) In recent decades, psychiatry has come to see rumination as a dangerous mental habit, because it leads people to fixate on their flaws and problems, thus extending their negative moods."
    It's even possible to say that serious runners run ad naseum, no?
    Focusing in on something too much may also be an editor's worst and best friend; i.e., being able to really, really focus in on details can be a great personality trait, yet, it can also make you focus in on other areas in life TOO MUCH (personal interactions, etc.)
    Well, if all of that wasn't too much for one response...not sure what is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *ad nauseam (yep, spelled that wrong)

    ReplyDelete