Monday, January 11, 2010

Face Fashion

Now that I'm 11 cold weather days into this year I've found that it's not too hard to brave whatever is out there.  It's not always fun, and it's certainly difficult to motivate, but it's less than 10 minutes of outside time, so once out the door it's all OK.

The one thing about the cold that tends to be the worst for me is the breathing of the cold air.  It hurts.  Cold in the nose, in the throat and in the lungs themselves.  Once your body warms up it's not such an issue but the first couple of minutes when your breathing rate and intensity picks up, that air is harsh. It's like breathing needles.

And while layers are easy to throw on the rest of my body, the mouth/nose aren't always that way.  Any tops that have high necks never really go up high enough to cover my mouth and I don't really like scarves or turtlenecks.  Material that is too thick makes it difficult to breath and just puts your own breath vapor all over your face.

So what then?

I tried using a Buff (actually a Buff imposter) and that seems to be just the thing I need. It's just enough to filter the cold, yet not so thick to be restricting or gross and wet.  The one problem I have is it makes me feel like a traitor.  I hear you thinking "How can a weird stretchy band = traitor?"

Well, it's the color scheme.  You see, I got it at a freezing cold Cleveland Browns/Pittsburgh Steelers game as a promo and it's Browns colors with small Browns helmets on one side and a helmet-looking stripe on the other.  I live in Cleveland so you'd think this would be a good thing, but I'm a Steelers fan.

I'm not psychotic in the rivalry rules department so I'm overlooking it, but wearing this thing as a Steelers fan is probably a jailable offense in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and most towns in between.  Plus I look like I'm in disguise for some purse snatching (note included pre-run photo). But I guess that's another issue altogether.

Either way, this Buff idea is pretty great if you need some cold air defense.  I'd just recommend thinking the color/design situation through first -- even if it is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment